Friday, July 07, 2006

Double Pretzel Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Alana Graziano in Santa Cruz, CA, emailed this recipe to me. My freezer is stuffed right now, so I haven’t made this yet, but it sounds wonderful!

I imagine you could use unflavored soy creamer (or soy milk) instead of French vanilla creamer and add in a tablespoon or so (maybe more) of vanilla to get the same effect. Alana also suggested increasing the amount of peanut butter you use, if you want a bigger PB taste.

2 c. French vanilla soy creamer
1 1/2 c. vanilla soy milk
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. smooth peanut butter
2 T. arrowroot
approx. 1 c. chopped peanut-butter-covered pretzels and chocolate-covered pretzels

Mix ¼ cup of soy milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.

Combine soy creamer, remaining soy milk, and brown sugar in a saucepan and heat. When hot, whisk in peanut butter so it is thoroughly incorporated. Raise the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and immediately stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount; it will be thicker when it cools).

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Add chopped pretzels in the last five minutes of freezing.

9 comments:

  1. I came here through your link on the PPK forums...

    omg... these sounds amazing. I have an ice cream maker, but it's really a cheapo loud one and I didn't think it would make it through the summer, so ironically, last night I ordered another one.

    Can't wait to try these recipes. I'll probably use homemade soy/cashew milk and stevia. Have you used stevia with any ice cream? I've used it in sorbets and it comes out really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried stevia, though I'm sure it would work just fine. My husband can't stand stevia, and he is the main consumer of my ice cream.

    Homemade soy milk is so good. I'm sure it will make amazing ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another question... have you thought of making a Cherry Garcia type? I've actually tried to make it with tofu and frozen cherries, but it did not turn out well.. I had to add things and turn it into popsicles..
    I'm thinking cherry extract would be needed... do they even make cherry extract? hmmm.. My husband and kids LOVE the cherry garcia frozen yogurt dipped in dark chocolate and if I could re-create that vegan.. that would be amazing. I'm going to try to figure this out..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had Cherry Garcia. Is it just cherry ice cream? I've actually been meaning to make some fresh cherry ice cream now that my husband has polished off the remaining strawberry ice cream in the freezer. The recipe I'd try would be much like my other fruit ice cream recipes--probably two cups pitted cherries, half pureed into the milk mixture and half chopped and added later. Then the soy milk/creamer, sugar (1 cup maybe), arrowroot, vanilla, and maybe some cherry extract (if they do indeed make it).

    You could also add chocolate chips at the end if you wanted. Or melt in a cupful of chocolate chips into the milk when you're starting out.

    I really need to test this recipe out. I'm making myself hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this recipe the other day with chocolate chips instead of pretzels. It was really good! You can see my results here: http://vegansnorkeler.blogspot.com/2008/04/vegan-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-ice.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I just got an iced cream maker for xmas and am excited to get started. Can any of the soy milks or creams be substituted with coconut milk? Also, I had a friend make iced cream with real pepper mint leaves...have you tried that?
    Thanks, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you can sub coconut milk anytime soy milk is called for. I haven't tried using mint leaves in ice cream, but it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thanks. Does there always need to be a cream as well as milk?
    Thanks:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, the point of the soy "cream" is to add to the fat content. Coconut milk has plenty of fat, so the ice cream will be creamy without a specific "cream" component.

    ReplyDelete