Sunday, June 17, 2007

Rum Raisin Ice Cream


Yo ho ho and a bowl of ice cream! Indulge your inner pirate with some rum-flavored ice cream. Coconut milk works very well here (I use half full-fat and half "light" coconut milk), but any non-dairy milk, or any combination of non-dairy milks, will work.

¾ c. raisins
¾ c. dark rum
3½ c. coconut milk, or any non-dairy milk
¾ c. sugar
2 T. arrowroot
1 t. vanilla extract

Place raisins into a bowl and cover with rum. Set aside for at least 30 minutes. Longer soaking will produce a more intense rum flavor. (I soak mine overnight.)

Mix ¼ cup of coconut milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.

Mix the remaining coconut milk and sugar together in a saucepan, and heat. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount; it will be thicker when it cools).

Stir in vanilla extract.

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool.

After the raisins have finished soaking, strain the raisins, reserving ¼ cup rum. Stir reserved rum into ice cream mixture. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Add raisins in the last five minutes of freezing.

6 comments:

  1. Come to Mama!

    Am I glad I found you. I have just learned that not only must I be gluten-free, I have to be dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free etc., as well.

    Thank you for blogging such fab recipes. :)

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  2. valerie8:08 AM

    This sounds amazing!
    Years ago, Rum raisin was my favorite Hagan Daaz flavor. I am so excited to find your vegan version.
    Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:44 AM

    Wow, this was an awesome recipe! I added some shredded desiccated coconut at the end as well. Thanks, your blog is the source of so many litres of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will eating too much rum ice cream advisable? I heard it has a lot of health benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope we do not get tipsy after trying this out! This recipe is promising, I will surely give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this rum raisin recipe for dessert tonight and it was sooooooo good.

    ReplyDelete