Monday, June 05, 2006

Molasses Ice Cream

This is one of the first ice creams I experimented with. My husband loves molasses, so I thought I'd make this just for him. Personally, I don't much care for it, but if you like molasses, this should be just the thing for you. Before you begin, you might want to check out my General Guidelines and Advice.

2 c. Silk soy creamer
1 ¼ c. soy milk
½ c. regular molasses
¼ c. blackstrap molasses
2 T. arrowroot
1 t. vanilla

Mix ¼ cup of soy milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.

Mix the soy creamer, soy milk, and molasses together in a saucepan and bring to a boil. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and immediately stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount; it will be thicker when it cools).

Add the vanilla.

Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.

3 comments:

  1. this blog rocks my socks off

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    I just tried out my ice cream maker for the first time today. I decided to go for it and attempt to veganize a retired Ben and Jerry's flavor called "Festivus" (brown sugar and cinnamon ice cream with gingerbread cookies and ginger caramel swirl). This is what I did and it worked out well, if not a little too soft, which may have been the fault of the ginger caramel sauce. Next time I may just use your recipe for caramel sauce--adding ginger--and just use it as a topping. I'd use the Magic Shell style so it'll be firmer, but I'm very sure it's not truly vegan to use the Smucker's, either version. :)

    1.5 C Silk soy creamer (plain)
    1/2 C brown sugar
    1-2 TB molasses
    1-2 TB cinnamon
    1 tsp. xanthan gum
    6 gingersnap cookies
    1/4 jar of sugar-free caramel sauce
    1/2 tsp. ginger

    I combined the top 5 ingredients in a bowl with a mixer and put it in the ice cream maker (Cuisinart ICE-20) for 20 minutes. (I recommmend you start with the minimum mentioned amounts of spices, etc., and then add from there to taste BEFORE putting into ice cream maker.) I microwaved the gingersnaps for 30 seconds and cut them into little pieces and tossed them in at that point, letting it run a few more minutes. Then I spooned the mixture into a container with the caramel that I'd mixed with the ginger already as follows: 1/3 ice cream; drizzle in 1/2 caramel; 1/3 ice cream; rest of caramel; 1/3 ice cream. I then took a knife and just zig-zagged it through the mixture (not too much, didn't want to thoroughly mix in the caramel), and put it in the fridge for an hour or so. That's all we could stand to wait. :) Still going to work on it...

    Next I intend to do a pumpkin cheesecake one with walnuts. I'll keep you posted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:41 AM

    Vegan Soul Kitchen has a recipe for molasses ice cream too. I had no idea that this was so popular!

    Kathy in MD

    ReplyDelete